This event is the largest annual cultural event in Hungary and is Debrecen’s most popular event for tourists. What was a two-day event many years ago, is now a week-long cultural extravaganza. Celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, this beloved festival should not be missed in 2019.
This week-long traditional event builds up to the 20th of August, which is Hungary’s biggest national holiday of the year, the “State Foundation Day”. In addition, it is also St. Stephen’s Day which is celebrated nationally in the Catholic tradition.
In the heart of the Nagyerdő (Great Forest), at the Galiba Children’s Festival, non-stop children’s programs (from 15th August until the 20th August) and the Czech Beer Garden welcomes families looking to relax and have fun throughout the entire week 14th August – 21st 2 am. At the peak of the carnival, the carnival floats, performing art groups and marching bands will parade through the city.
In addition to the parade, there is a food truck show, a classic car show and in the evening there is a light show in the central square. After the parade, the intricate colorful flower floats will be exhibited along the road in front of the event area north of the Nagyerdei Stadium.
During the evening arena show (Carnival Night) held in the Nagyerdei Stadium, a crowd of 20000 people will be dazzled by star performers and the carnival cavalcade. During carnival night more than 2000 people perform on stage. The program series culminates to the finale on the 20th August and the event will be close with a spectacular fireworks display and a street party in front of the main building of the University of Debrecen.
Every year the cities hotel accommodation is completely booked out, so If you wish to stay overnight or for longer, be sure to reserve your hotel place early to avoid disappointment. In order to help you plan your stay, we have provided a brief program overview below.
Flower Festival programs include:
• On the 14th August, there is a concert from one of Hungary’s best known orchestral rock bands “Bon Bon + Big Band”.
• August 16th -17th Cuban Salsa celebration, a large scale event @ Baltazár Dezső Square with concerts, authentic dance performances, with a festival atmosphere.
• August 16th 20:00 – 23:00 An evening of temple concerns and other classical music concerts at various locations including the Kossuth Square great stage @21:00, the Reformed Great Church (inside the church, works by Bach, Vivaldi, and Handel)@ 20:00. Chamber stage @ 22:30 Classical music (Mozart (G major) Serenade K. 525).
• August 16th - @ 20:30-23:00 If classical music isn’t your thing and if you prefer to rock then there is the “Beatles vs. Rolling Stones” event at the Nagyerdei Open-Air Stage
• August 17th @ 17:00 As part of the Galiba Children’s Festival there is a band on the Great Nagyerdei Open-Air Stage “Concert of the Haho”.
• August 17th 20:30 – 22:10 – Budapest Bar Concert – Hungarian Rock and Gypsy music band, one of the most popular in Hungary Nagyerdei Open-Air Stage
• August 19th @ 17:00 Children's Book reading + enactment @ Veronaki Band Concert stage • August 19th @ 20:30-21:45 Caramel